The Shenzhen Design Award for Young Talents (SDAY) is an international professional competition for young designers under the age of 35 who are from the 180 UNESCO Creative Cities worldwide. The SDAY is administered by the Shenzhen City of Design Promotion Office, organized by the Shenzhen City of Design Promotion Association (SDPA), and co-organized by the UNESCO Creative Cities Network.
Theme for 2019: Inclusive Design
In this era flooded with commodities and over-consumption, new ethical standards ask for inclusive design. Respecting individual differences, satisfying the needs of the masses, and attaching equal importance to the functions and emotional values of objects are the new aesthetic standards that the era has asked of design. The rise of sciences and technologies, the diversity of culture, the emergence of new forces, and the turbulence in international politics and economies form the context that requires designers to have broad visions and open minds. With the integration of disciplines and the sharing of skills, designers shoulder the important mission of providing new perspectives for the public and providing new ideas for solving problems and contradictions. Only when design becomes inclusive can it create a better future for human beings.
Professional designers or teams and design students from the member cities of the UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN) can submit projects to the following categories:
- Communication: brand & identity, packaging design, publications, typography, posters, illustrations, information visualization
- Interactive media: interactive design, website UI design, PC and mobile UX design, animation design, game & software design, motion picture and television design
- Industrial design: automobile, furniture, product design
- Spatial design: architectural design, landscape design, interior design, urban and public guiding system design
- Fashion design: apparel, accessories, texture design, dyeing & knitting
- Public service design and design thinking in public policy
The city of Shenzhen cordially invites designers from around the world to enter the 2019 SDAY and looks forward to seeing excellent project from you!