AIA Detroit and Design Core Detroit are thrilled to officially announce the 18 businesses selected as finalists for the first Commerce Design Detroit Awards program. The finalists were selected from a highly competitive group of 37 submissions, representing a broad range of businesses, scales and neighborhoods. The Jury, featuring both local and international design practitioners, will gather in Detroit this weekend to conduct on-site visits to each of the finalist businesses to learn more about their design process and the impact the project has had in its neighborhood context. The 18 finalists will also be recognized in a special exhibit at this year’s AIA Detroit Celebration of Architecture, the premier event of the year for the AEC and Design communities in southeast Michigan.
Ten winning projects will be selected following the jury’s visits, and will be announced at a special event in late October at the Garden Theatre. Winning businesses will then be featured in a promotional campaign, including a “People’s Choice” vote on social media, leading up to a special edition Drinks x Design Crawl to the winning businesses on December 1st.
Congratulations to the finalist projects!:
- 8 Degrees Plato (Midtown) Submitted by Owners Tim Costello & Brigid Beaubien, and Designer Chris Rutherford of Architectural Salvage Warehouse Detroit
- Advance Plumbing, Heating, and Supply Co. (Midtown) Submitted by Owners Jeff Moss & Josh Moss, and Design Team D-MET Studio
- FOLK Detroit (Corktown) Submitted by Owners Kiki Louya & Rohani Foulkes, and Designer Christopher Stefani of CL Stefani Co.
- Foundation Hotel (Downtown-Financial District) Submitted by Owners Aparium Hotel Group & 250 Larned LLC, and Design Team McIntosh Poris Associates
- Go Sy Thai (Downtown-Capitol Park) Submitted by Owners Cedric Lee & Alex Lee, and Design Team Patrick Thompson Design
- Grey Ghost (Brush Park) Submitted by Owners Four Man Ladder and Design Team Pink + Wooderson
- House of Pure Vin (Downtown-Merchants Row) Submitted by Owners Regina Gains, Andrea Dunbar, and Terry Mullins, and Design Team M1/DTW
- Kuzzo's Chicken & Waffles (University District) Submitted by Owner Ronald Bartell and Designers Joshua Smith & Jessica Janda from Who's That?
- Lovers Only (Downtown-Capitol Park) Submitted by Owner Eli Boyer, and Design Team Five Eighths Architecture
- Lumen Detroit (Downtown-Beacon Park) Submitted by Owner DTE (managed by Norm LePage), and Design Team Touloukian Touloukian Inc.
- New Order Coffee (Brush Park) Submitted by Owner Elizabeth Rose, and Design Teams Unsold Studio and Et al Collaborative
- Republic Tavern (Downtown-Capitol Park) Submitted by Owners Tom Carleton, David Carleton, and Sean Emery, and Designers Peter Gurski, and John Biggar
- Sfumato Fragrances (Midtown) Submitted by Owners Jane Larson & Kevin Peterson, and Designer Paul Karas of Ware Mfg
- TAKOI (Corktown) Submitted by Owners Philip Kafka & Chef Brad Greenhill, and Design Team Undecorated
- The Alley Project Commons (Southwest Detroit) Submitted by Owner Erik Howard, and Design Team Et al Collaborative
- The Commons / MACC Development (Islandview) Submitted by Owner Ezekiel Harris, and Design Team Laavu Studio
- Townhouse (Downtown) Submitted by Owner Jeremy Sasson of Heirloom Hospitality, and Design Team McIntosh Poris Associates
- True North (Core City) Submitted by Owners Prince Concepts & Philip Kafka, and Designer Edwin Chan of EC3
|Generously supported by: Bank of America, Hudson-Webber Foundation, New Economy Initiative of Southeast Michigan|