Design Core Detroit is saddened and outraged by the recent loss of Black lives in America, taken by those who have vowed to protect us. To our design community and our Black, Brown and Native friends and colleagues who are grieving right now, we are with you and we stand alongside you.
We are champions of design that leads to outcomes that allow all people to participate in a society that is equitable and truly serves them. We recognize the systems we are all working within are themselves racially biased.
It is every individual’s responsibility to educate themselves about racism and racial inequity. The Racial Equity Institute offers a paper here that helps explain how racism permeates the groundwater of society. We encourage you to learn more and use this education to make a change.
We also encourage you to support organizations that are working to progress racial equality, if you are able. Design Core Detroit suggests the following linked organizations:
- Detroit Justice Center, a nonprofit that works alongside communities to create economic opportunities, transform the justice system, and promote equitable and just cities.
- The Bail Project, a nonprofit that aims to mitigate incarceration rates through bail reform.
- Black Visions Collective, a black, trans, and queer-led social justice organization and legal fund based in Minneapolis-St. Paul.
- The NAACP Legal Defense Fund, which supports racial justice through advocacy, litigation, and education.
- Communities United Against Police Brutality, which operates a crisis hotline where people can report abuse; offers legal, medical, and psychological resource referrals; and engages in political action against police brutality.
- The ACLU, which provides legal services and support for a broad range of people with civil rights complaints.
Design Core Detroit is here for our community, and we are committed to keeping this important conversation going.
Design Core Detroit