Zoning Game. Music. Food. People. Discussion
The City Planning Commission staff along with their consultant have developed an interactive board game to get players to think about zoning and land use decisions. The game gives residents the chance to create their desired neighborhood scenario as a group. The trade-offs that come from the decisions on land-use and development always lead to lively discussion that allows for a better understanding of how zoning impacts citizens every day.
Please join us to play the game and also learn more about the CPC’s initiative to update the City’s Zoning Ordinance and how design can be implemented into municipal zoning policy.
Overview of project
The City of Detroit’s Zoning Ordinance has not be updated in a long time. The Detroit City Council City Planning Commission staff, supported by an expert team of consultants, has embarked on a 2-year process to comprehensively update the City’s Zoning Ordinance – the initiative is called ZoneDetroit.
The ZoneDetroit Event will provide an overview of the project including:
• What zoning is and what zoning is not
• How zoning can harm & help
• A project timeline
• Explain the difference between the Master Plan, the Zoning Ordinance & Neighborhood Plans
• An analysis of maps showing existing zoning in Detroit
• Ideas for refreshing the current Zoning Ordinance
• Ideas for rethinking the current Zoning Ordinance
• An overview of the project’s community engagement plan
• Getting folks to think about “what should happen here? – in Detroit’s commercial corridors, industrial areas, neighborhoods, and on open space/vacant land.