As we continue to move through the current pandemic, it will soon be time for businesses to reopen. And for small business owners, it is crucial to have a strategic plan that incorporates new policies and safety measures for staff and customers.
There will be many things to consider as you prepare to safely return to work, including: testing of employees, conducting daily health screenings, workplace distancing and hygiene protocols, and guidance on the mandatory use of PPE and how to procure it.
Whether you are a freelancer working from home, or a design studio with a public office space, we have some tips and resources to share that will help you get back to business safely, and successfully.
- Stock up on personal protective equipment (PPE) including: masks, gloves, hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes or spray.
- Ensure mandatory use of masks or other forms of PPE.
- Post all safety policies in your office, making sure that they are easily seen by your clients and employees.
- Make sure that employees can take time off from work if they are sick.
- Communicate regularly with your clients to make them feel comfortable, and keep them updated about any changes to your services.
- Rearrange your space to accommodate and promote social distancing and low contact encounters.
- Only permit a small number of clients to enter your space at one time.
- Consider investing in temporary safety barriers for your employees’ workspaces and public reception areas.
- Be sure to frequently and thoroughly sanitize workspaces and public areas or equipment.
- Daily employee health screenings for temperature, fever, cough, etc.
- Consider utilizing Zoom or other teleconferencing tools to meet with clients when possible, to minimize face-to-face interaction.
Resources for reopening your business:
- View the “Small Business Reopening Checklist” released by the Southeast Michigan chapter of SCORE.
- Download “Reopening Playbook” for official recommendations from the City of Detroit for safely reopening your business.
- TechTown blog that features tips on how to safely reopen.
Design makes a difference.
As we move through the COVID-19 crisis, Design Core Detroit is committed to making sure small businesses have the professional support necessary to reopen safely and successfully. Professional creatives in our Detroit Design Network can help stabilize your business now, to be more competitive in the future.
Designers can help you create friendly signage and way finding, configure your existing space to accommodate social distancing, create engaging content to attract and retain customers, and more.
How does this work?
- Tell us what you need in this form.
- Design Core will share your needs with our member network of local design businesses and connect you to appropriate services. Please note that it typically takes us 1-2 business days to process these requests. Staff may contact you for clarification.
Featured image courtesy of Bon Bon Bon.